HikingGears tipsTips for beginners Practice TipsFamily, babies & childrenSnow & cold weather Where to go ?Hiking responsiblyNature Explore
Discover our advice on how to choose the right meat bag, an essential accessory for all camping and travel enthusiasts.
Bag sheets have become an essential accessory for all bivouac, hiking and travel enthusiasts. Lightweight and compact, it slips easily into your luggage and guarantees a minimum level of comfort in sometimes difficult situations. There are several occasions when you can use a bag sheet: a night in a refuge, a journey with lots of moving around, a break under the stars, etc. What's more, it's an affordable product that's perfect for people on a tight budget. The various available models How to choose your bag sheet Decathlon gives you all the tips you need in this guide.
Other models of sleeping bag are available on the market, in two different versions: the blanket bag and the sarcophagus bag, which do not offer the same level of comfort during your adventurous sleep.
- The blanket bag : The blanket bag is rectangular in shape. Its open, unfolded fabric can be handled in the same way as a conventional sheet. This opening makes it more practical to use and gives you greater freedom of movement. The blanket bag is ideal for overnight stays indoors.
- The sarcophagus bag : As the name suggests, the shape a sarcophagus bag is inspired by the Egyptian sarcophagi as it is relatively wide at the shoulders, gradually narrowing towards the lower body. Thanks to its shape, which is similar to that of a classic sleeping bag, the sarcophagus bag slips easily into the sleeping bag. Although it can be used anywhere, this type of bag is particularly popular for overnight stays outdoors.
The material from which the bag sheet is made will correlate to the thermal capacity of your product, its resistance and, of course, its price.
- The silk bag sheet: The silk bag sheet is the most comfortable sleeping bag model. It is soft to the touch, retains body heat, and also keeps you cool in the heat. On the other hand, despite its lightness and compactness, silk is a fragile material and does not offer the greatest resistance. It is also the most expensive type of bag sheet.
- The cotton bag sheet: Inexpensive and particularly resistant, cotton is also a comfortable fabric. However, its weight can be a bit of a problem if you're embarking on long walking trips with your rucksack on your back. So, the cotton meat pouch is a good option if you’re staying several nights in one place. This will help you avoid back and shoulder pain caused by overweight luggage.
- The microfibre bag sheet: Although microfibre is a synthetic material and is less comfortable than silk or cotton, it has a number of interesting features when used in a bag sheet. The microfibre sleeping bag is lightweight, space-saving and quick-drying, making it ideal for long trips or stays in hot, humid climates. The microfibre bag sheet is also affordable for a range of budgets.
- The fleece bag sheet: A warm, cocooning material par excellence, fleece will help you warm up as you wrap yourself up in your sleeping bag. So, the fleece bag sheet is the ideal solution for providing warmth and comfort on chilly nights. However, this type of bag sheet is bulky and relatively heavy, so it's best to keep it – like the cotton bag sheet – for when you're away from home.
With the summer season and warm weather approaching, it is the ideal time to renew your sleeping gear or add to the equipment you already have. Your camping or hostel holidays, whether in France or abroad, will be even more unforgettable if you set off with the right products. Now that you've got all the information you need for choosing the right bag sheet, let's take a look at the products that can you can also take on your travels.
- Camping or trekking pillow: Whether in your daily life or on holiday, there's nothing like a good night's sleep to recharge your batteries and replenish your energy. So, a pillow is a great accessory that you can take with you wherever you go, even when you're away from home. Thanks to pillows that are specially designed for travelling, compact and easy to carry, your camping or trekking trips will be more comfortable and you'll be able to recover better after long days out walking.
Sleeping bag: Your bag sheet won't be enough to keep you warm on cold nights. Available in several models and at different prices, the sleeping bag is affordable for all budgets. It's an essential piece of equipment for multi-day outings in the great outdoors. Don’t hesitate to check our guide on the subject and find tips for choosing your sleeping bag.
- Mattress or camp bed: For optimum comfort when camping or bivouacking, opt for a mattress or camp bed. Some space-saving models are perfect for giving you a good night's rest and getting you back on your feet the very next day. On the other hand, this type of equipment is recommended for relatively long, sedentary stays. It would be a shame to burden yourself with a mattress or camp bed if you move around a lot.
Now you're ready to sleep wherever you like!