HikingGears tipsTips for beginners Practice TipsFamily, babies & childrenSnow & cold weather Where to go ?Hiking responsiblyNature Explore
Sun cream is essential for protecting your skin from the sun during outdoor sports activities. The most important thing is the cream's sun protection factor.
Prolonged exposure to the sun during physical activities, or just when you're out and about, can seriously harm your skin. Sun cream is therefore absolutely essential.
When choosing your sun cream, you need to know how sensitive your skin is to the sun. This is referred to as your "phototype".
There are 4 phototypes:
- extremely sensitive skin that always burns or never tans.
- sensitive skin that burns easily and tans slightly.
- medium skin that burns rarely and tans fairly easily.
- resistant skin that never burns and that tans easily.
You also need to know how you'll be exposed to the sun. Bear in mind that the more intense the sunshine, the more you should protect yourself from the sun.
There are 3 exposure categories:
- moderate: outdoor activities, etc.
- high: watersports or prolonged outdoor activities.
- extreme: activities in the mountains or the tropics.
Based on these two criteria, choose the SPF that suits you the best: SPF 30, SPF 50 or SPF 50+.
For kids, we recommend always using SPF 50+. The same is true for people with a very sensitive or a sensitive phototype, or who are doing an activity that involves high to extreme exposure. This will protect your skin from UV rays.
Remember to reapply your sun cream every 2 hours and to complement the protection it gives you by covering any exposed skin with clothing and by wearing a hat.