HikingGears tipsTips for beginners Practice TipsFamily, babies & childrenSnow & cold weather Where to go ?Hiking responsiblyNature Explore
Pineapple, chilli and grilled corn, for a fortifying sweet and sour after a day in the mountains.
For 1 person
Weight in the backpack: approximately 200g
- 70g of dry quinoa
- 80g of tinned kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon of dried or cubed pineapple (depending on your taste)
- 1 teaspoon of dried or fresh coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon of strong or mild chilli to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of savoury grilled corn, to be kept aside in another small bag, as the corn will be added after cooking
N.B.: do not put salt in the mixture, quinoa is always cooked without salt, it is added at the end, before eating.
- Write on a zip bag the name of the contents: "Chilli style quinoa" and the cooking time of your quinoa (in general between 10 and 15 minutes)
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients, except the savoury grilled corn, to be kept in a small bag to one side (it will not be cooked with the rest, so it remains crispy). Tip them into the zip bag. Form an airtight seal on the bag, removing as much air as possible.
- Put the contents of the zip bag into the pot, heat it for 1 minute on a very low heat while stirring, then add twice the amount of water. Leave to cook on a very low heat for the time indicated, stirring regularly.
- When all the water has been absorbed by the quinoa and you see the little seed detach from the quinoa grain, it is (almost) ready. Cut the heat, add some salt and pepper to taste and the grilled corn.
Beware of the gas consumption caused by cooking for approximately 15 minutes ;)